Thursday, November 17, 2005

wide awake

I am suffering from insomnia for two consecutive days now. I would go to bed at my usual hour, 11pm and then just lie there, waiting for the sandman to do his trick. Then nothing. My mind refused to shut down. I would toss and turn listlessly. Jumbled thoughts would still swirl around in my head. In one corner of my alert mind, music would suddenly invade my consciousness. Sometimes an idea would come to mind, only to be shifted to another train of thought, and so it would go on for hours. By 3am, I'm already singing in my head, triggered by my last song syndrome. I mean, I could try drinking a glass of hot milk to help me relax and get to sleep but nights are (un)usually hot this time of year. By 5am, i would decide to get up and have an early breakfast (hot pandesal + hot choco). I would find myself drowsy and yawning around 7:30am, then that's the only time I could finally fall asleep. Then again, I won't still have a fitful sleep because the whole neighborhood is waking up already. The noise of the day would filter through my mind again, added to that is the never-ending sound of airplanes taking off in the distance, and that usually happens every hour of the day. It only gets quiet by 9pm. By then, the nearby airport would be closed already. The alarm would go off at 11:30am so I have to get up and prepare for lunch, afterwhich I would take off for work. This morning, around 10am, I woke up with a start and almost panicked. The reason? I could hear the strains of an old song wafting through the neighbor's window. I actually asked myself if it was the 1940s since I was hearing an old song, if I was suddenly transported back to that bygone era. Then it hit me, the neighbor was watching an old disney cartoon. That was a relief! For a moment there I thought I was living in Nazi Germany. I didn't have anything for lunch earlier. I feel like I'm still in a trance, currently caught between the dreamworld and my waking life. Naturally, I have to force myself to stay awake the whole time in the office. Maybe I had a bad case of too much caffeine (or toxic?) in my system ~ i really don't know. . .

No comments: