Saturday, March 12, 2005

promiscuous? Not!

I met a girl once who, for about a year, have managed to date a string of guys and sleep with them on first dates. They were her toyboys. She didn't care less. I was aghast when she confessed them to me, but I learned later on that she had her heart broken to a thousand pieces by this one guy-- The One. Apparently, she slept with those guys for 2 reasons: to forget about the love of her life; and to know if other guys can measure up to him. She was dead wrong.
There are valid reasons why a girl would sleep around. And not because she is a slut. There's always a reason behind such uncharacteristic behaviour. I, for one, understand my friend's predicament. I've had my heart broken too. Believe me, it's hard to let go. But there are things in life where you just have to accept your defeat, that you can't always get what you want. You just have to accept the fact that love and happiness can sometimes be elusive-- and out of reach.
Falling in love and having your heart broken happens all the time. It seems like we can never avoid this cycle. Somewhere in your life, you get rejected-- by a company you applied for, by a friend, even by your family. True, it takes awhile of getting used to, but you eventually survive. And you move on... learning to let go is pretty tough. You cling to the memory of your past, hoping that it will save you from total self-destruction. But you just gotta deal with it, learn it, and live it. Of course it's easier said than done, you just got to start somewhere... anywhere.

No comments: