Wednesday, April 13, 2005

selling the drama

sometimes, I am tempted to drop everything and just disappear. I had enough of this crappy life in the city. Consummerism has overtaken the lives of most people these days that they don't have time anymore to stop and smell the roses (or the coffee, for that matter). I am not ashamed to admit I have fallen under that category as well. It has always been about having the best clothes, getting the best job, knowing the right people. It's one way of surviving really. When you know more people, the better are the chances of you landing the right career. More and more people are driven to succeed in life. Little did we know that the very thing that preoccupies us are the very things that will make us miserable in later life, when we're old & gray and regretting that it shouldn't be that way, that our lives should've taken a different route, a happier one, devoid of excesses. Mankind can't seem to be satisfied with what they have. They need more, they always want more. Sometimes it becomes an addiction. I think that if we just carefully analyze our lifestyle, it would be a matter of just balancing our wants and needs. Competition among our peers occupies most of our time, especially in the workplace. The more they work, the more they are burned out.
When I was younger, I used to dream of owning a mansion, travel to cool places and just splurge. I thought it was important to have everything at your disposal. But as I grow older, it made me realize that happiness is more important. Being filthy rich doesn't necessarily equate to bliss. It will not give you eternal sunshine. There will come a point when these things will bore you. You will seek satisfaction & contentment somewhere else. You will miss the simple things in life. You will crave for more quality time for yourself, your loved ones.
For me, I always have this fascination to explore other places, go backpacking in Europe or some exotic place. I can just go from place to place, enjoying the sights, taking in some culture, learn from them. It will feed me more because I'm actually feeding my soul as well. Right now, money isn't important to me. As long as I have a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back, money will just take care of itself. I would like to do some humanitarian work (one of my life-long dreams), contribute to society and not be selfish for once.. That would really mean something...

No comments: