Friday, February 11, 2005

the ramifications of having a sedentary lifestyle

I have just spent the last 48 hours getting sick with influenza, and a whopping total of 96 hours holed up in my tiny room with nothing else to do but to mop around. I have just about given up doing anything productive or relevant. Since I am not allowed to do heavy work (read: getting sick is downright frustrating!), I have resulted in doing as minimal work as possible. On the brighter side, I was able to wash my hair (it's actually my boyfriend who did just that) after having spent one day of practically no bath due to my silly illness. Turning the telly on bordered somewhere between laziness and scorn. The former being my bane of existence after being holed up in one place for much too long and the latter having realized that there's nothing much to watch anyway. My joints still ache, my body's complaining, my stomach's grumbling (food is not palatable at the moment), and I have this irritating buzzing sound in my ear! The kind of sound you usually get when you are sick.
Turning the radio on and surfing the right dial has been one helluva task. Reading is not an option. I have just about finished reading the book I just bought before I got sick. Going out is not an option either. I guess I could've opted to sneak out and watch a movie. I mean, I could lose myself in a really good movie. My aches and pains will be momentarily forgotten in the 2-hour that my attention is captured or spellbound by the moving pictures. Then I would probably feel a whole lot better. Yet again, I am stuck here for the next couple hours or so.
So how is this story, to say the least, relevant? You would probably ask. Well, I have racked my brains for anything that would put me out of my misery-- short of killing myself, so hence, the monologue. You might say, I have finally gone bonkers. But what can I do? Being stuck home alone for far too long is not my idea of living such a dandy life. Sure, I do seek my own space once in a while but staying at home for more than 2 days is too much to take already. Especially if you're not feeling well and not exactly bursting with enthusiasm. You'd probably suggest to just go right ahead and pick my nose or do something really outrageous and I wouldn't even care less. None of it mattered right now. Oh sure, go ahead and whine about the lack of activity (physical or otherwise). Go ahead and blame it on the government if you wish. The awful feeling of non-productiveness is the cultural bi-product of this twenty-something year old girl who, after being held prisoner of sickness and boredom, have decided to just go ahead and rant... Now I feel better already.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

wow. i like the way you write....
keep on keeping on, girl...
by the way, where you from?