Thursday, January 20, 2005

fountain of youth

in a couple of hours I would be celebrating my birthday... People say that there are 2 things that you should never ask a lady: her virginity & her age. For me, I have stopped counting when I turned 25. In this youth-obsessed society, it would seem cruel to remember that one is getting old. Therefore, I'd rather forget about adding another year to my age. I have already received a couple of well-wishers-- even from a former high school classmate! Once again, I dare ask myself-- what did I accomplish so far? Have I contributed anything to the society, to the rest of the humanity? To others, these questions might seem lofty or ambitious, it might even elicit snickers & odd looks. But to an Aquarian, it's a natural thing to ponder about one's achievements-- or lack thereof. Like most people, I dread growing old. I don't know why. Maybe because our present society dwells mostly on youth. To them, when you hit the big 3-0, you're already a has-been. Nobody would want you. You had your prime. On the contrary, I do admire people who reaches a certain level of maturity when they reach a specific age. Besides, you cannot measure a person's character thru his age. I have a friend who had no qualms of being 39. He was comfortable growing old. I wish I could be like that. Maybe someday I would be able to embrace my maturity? Or maybe I'm just young at heart...

No comments: