Saturday, August 06, 2005

oh captain, my captain

we just lost a brilliant man. I cannot for the life of me imagine that he would be gone so soon. I was stupefied when I first heard the news. The man behind the colorful Hawaiian shirts have been a great example to the youth and the idealists. He is indeed irreplaceable. One cannot easily find such a great persona. His character stood out amongst other politicians. I have been a great admirer of this man since I was in college. Never have I known a statesman who is consistent with his ideals and his vision for the people and the country (except for Joker Arroyo perhaps). A true patriot. He could've been and I quote "the best president this country never had." He could've done a lot for this country. He had high hopes for the country and he had great belief in our countrymen. With him, patriotism was not dead. His example for a clean & honest governance is highly commendable. I admire him not because he's a fellow Bicolano. I admired him for his utter brilliance. I love how his mind works. He sticks to his principles even if that would make him unpopular or boring to the masses, as it was shown in the last presidential elections. I was able to read his political platform when he ran for presidency. Anyone who knows his background would be amazed at how this man rose to the ranks. He was upfront and analytical, yet he kept it simple, he chose to address the most important and the most basic issues of the land and preferred not to be caught up in the circus that is politics. He wasn't that popular in the last elections, in fact he wasn't even a favorite of the majority. Most of all, I admired this man for passionately upholding the welfare and rights of women. He is a defender of women's rights. If it wasn't for his illness, he could've given GMA a run for her money. He could even be a possible successor to GMA if she is impeached. It was just unfortunate that he chose to leave.

No comments: